Friday, September 7, 2012

Animal and Word Matching


I wrote out the names of the animals that we had at home on a piece of paper.  I then asked and helped Matthew read the names of those animals. It was his job to place the animals right above each name of animal. 

 

 What came next was so much fun for me. Matthew started counting each type of animal that we had as he placed them on the paper. For example, we had three Zebras. Matthew then took a marker and wrote the number three in front of the word zebra all by himself. This part of the activity was completely his idea. 
He continued to count out each animal as we read and became familiar the written name.  
 
 

I had hoped that an activity like this would have last longer for him but it lasted long enough for him to get all the animals onto the paper and to count each one.  I am going to attempt to do this another day as well. I was excited to find out that he already recognized the words cow and pig without any help from me. He will learn more as we continue doing other things to build his vocabulary and whole language skills. It is fun to see him sounding out these words as best as he can. 


Putting on his thinking cap. Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment